I suggest you ...

Save material texture only in Origami

When editing a graphics in Illustrator that would update the material in origami, it would be great if we were able to export just the texture file and not have to export the whole model to get it. This would be useful when you have already designed and created the boxshot file and you just need to update the texture. I know that I can just export the 3d file again and delete what I don't need but if it gets worked into a future release that would be great.

3 votes
Vote
Sign in
Check!
(thinking…)
Reset
or sign in with
  • facebook
  • google
    Password icon
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    You have left! (?) (thinking…)
    Michael Wilson shared this idea  ·   ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
    under review  ·  AdminVitaly Ovchinnikov (Admin, BoxShot 4) responded  · 

You can export directly from Illustrator, just click File→Export and check “Use artboards”, also make sure that “Use whole artboard” option is set in Origami. This way you can easily replace the artwork without re-exporting the model. It also help to get higher resolution exports or extra channels/mask if neccessary.

Let me know if it helps.

2 comments

Sign in
    Check!
    (thinking…)
    Reset
    or sign in with
    • facebook
    • google
      Password icon
      Signed in as (Sign out)
      Submitting...
      • AdminVitaly Ovchinnikov (Admin, BoxShot 4) commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Origami has "use whole artboard" option under the Illustrator menu. If checked, Origami simply uses the artboard bounds to export artwork. Otherwise it uses the dieline bounds. The second is probably your case if you have the artwork of different size exported. Try switching the option on and if it still doesn't work - I would really like to see a sample AI file with that issue.

We're going to remove that option in the near future, so all the artwork will be exported with artboard bounds.

• Michael Wilson commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

The only problem I've had with that is that sometimes Origami makes a texture that is larger than the art board the first time. I can only speculate as to why it might do that, hidden objects outside the art board, masks extending outside of the art board etc..

If I were to export just the art board my mapping would be off because the dimensions would be different.

Does that make sense?

Thanks for the quick response!

Feedback and Knowledge Base