I suggest you ...

ability to define bottom edge

I'd like to be able to select an edge as the bottom instead of placing a box on a panel. In my case I'm trying to design a sleeve and there is no bottom. To get around it I currently create a very small bottom edge and adjust my dueling accordingly but this is a bad hack at best.

12 votes
Vote
Sign in
Check!
(thinking…)
Reset
or sign in with
  • facebook
  • google
    Password icon
    I agree to the terms of service
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    You have left! (?) (thinking…)
    Stuart McCoyStuart McCoy shared this idea  ·   ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
    Vitaly OvchinnikovAdminVitaly Ovchinnikov (Admin, BoxShot 4) responded  · 

I feel your pain, but so far we see no way of simple and effective way of doing that. Suggestions are welcome.

We can’t mark bottom with an edge, as shape may rotate around the edge, so the angle to the floor cannot be defined that way.

5 comments

Sign in
    Check!
    (thinking…)
    Reset
    or sign in with
    • facebook
    • google
      Password icon
      I agree to the terms of service
      Signed in as (Sign out)
      Submitting...
      • Stuart McCoyStuart McCoy commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Another thought occurred to me that perhaps you could setup Origami to read in a special "cutout" layer that would handle all internal holes cut into the box. This would allow me to place a full size flap on the bottom then place a full-size hole in its place. I'm not entirely sure how this might get around the hole being "outside" the box shape errors but it makes cutting a hole a more deliberate action on the part of the user.

what if you could create a "cutout" attached to the bottom edge of the artwork and assign this to "bottom"? In practice the bottom edge would look like a typical box with only a single bottom flap but instead of a crease line between it and the bottom edge, there would be a cutline. Placing the "bottom" marker inside this cutline shape would allow the system to know where the bottom is but treat it visually as if it were a cutout.

I'd love to offer ideas but I'm not sure what the technical limitations of the system are. Perhaps if users define a separate, unattached panel as the bottom then Origami could assume the intent is a false bottom?

Another idea would be to assume the bottom edge of the Illustrator artboard is bottom of the box and set camera accordingly.

Feedback and Knowledge Base